Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A New Deck

My Dad and Mom came in this past Friday so my dad could build the deck he designed for me, of course he has the help of my husband, Ken and my brother Jimmy came over on Monday to help also. The deck is being built off the dining room which has a door that leads outside, but it is one heck of a first step to get there! :-) I have posted some photos of the what they have done each day. On Saturday my dad and Ken went and bought all the lumber they were going to need and at this point I have to mention that Mom and Dad are paying for this deck. Ken and I are overwhelmed with this gift from them. We did not think we would be building a deck for another year or so with all the other things we need to do at the house, so this is a god send. We will be able to eat outside when the weather is nice, something we just love to do, and we certainly will enjoy sitting out there watching the fireflies, birds and maybe even the deer if they get use to us sitting there. Anyway on Sunday, my dad started digging the holes the posts were going into while my husband ran back to Home Depot to get something they forgot.

My dad is going to be 78 in June and he can dig holes with the best of them! Of course he knows how to pace himself.

The photo below shows where the deck is going on the side of the house. You can see the big step down I was talking about.

Ken and my dad are cutting the lumber that will be used in on the deck.



I had to work on Monday and when I got home, I found my dad and brother standing, well my dad standing and my brother sitting on the unfinished deck. They sure got a lot done.

After I got home on Tuesday, I found they had fastened the flooring of the deck down and built the rails on one side of the deck. The wooden bar that runs across the top will have 3 handing baskets there.

This other photo is also from Tuesday but shows the deck from the other side.
I am very anxious to get home and see what they have done today, there will be lots more photos coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment