Monday, May 10, 2010

The weekend and other things

The weekend started out great with school getting out at noon on Friday (5-7-10). Getting home before rush hour traffic started was wonderful. Ken was all ready on his way to Marshall,
Texas with Evie and Kane for the Caddo Kennel Club's first ever show. We had Evie entered in the American Bred Class and Kane was entered in Best of Breed. It was a great weekend for Kane aka CH Take No Prisoners of Edan as he went Best of Breed both days under judges Donald Gill and Col Joe Purkhiser. Evie did not fair as well. She went Reserve Winner's Bitch on Saturday and 2nd in her class on Sunday........ugh. So she is still sitting at 7 points with 1 major. Her next show will be in Lake Charles, LA in June. Keeping fingers crossed that she will pick up more points there. Below is a moving shot of Kane. He is a spectacular mover, very balanced and a fun dog to live with.


While Ken was off having fun at the dog show, I was cleaning the house for a visit from mom and dad. The house stays pretty clean but after all it is the parents!!!! I got to turn off the A/C since a cool wind was blowing and I opened all the windows. Magic and I sat on the porch and listened as the trees talked to us.......very magical. It was also fun watching the silly woodpeckers hang from the bird feeders and take the sunflower seeds out to eat. I think Ken and I have counted 5 different woodpeckers including the rare Red Headed Woodpecker. That one is a true beauty with it's solid red head, black body and white on it's wings. He has been here twice in the past couple days and I sure hope he comes back so mom and dad can see him. I need to get a better camera with a good telephoto lens, that is the only way to get pictures of the birds.

I do have a question, does anyone know what kind of flowering bush this is?
I was planning to take out all the bushes along the side of the house, but had not gotten to it yet when this thing started blooming. It is really beautiful and smells wonderful. Sort of reminds me of honeysuckle, the smell not the bush. :-) If I can find out what it is, I will replace the other bushes with whatever this one is. Any ideals???

We finally got one of the flower beds in front of the house finished. It has butterfly plants, small rosemary bushes, thyme, sweet basil, lavender along with some other goodies. The border came from our house in Houston. As soon as the plants grow a little bigger, I will be adding a colored mulch. Now we have to get started on the other one.


As I mentioned earlier I was going to take out the bushes (except that blooming one) that run along side of the house. I had my clippers and was pulling back one of the branches to cut it when this bird flew out and scared me to death. Turns out the bushes are getting a short stay of execution. The bird has a nest in them.

Don't know what kind of bird it is yet since I don't want to disturb her. I will try to get a picture of the babies when they hatch
Earlier last week, I had just gotten home when here came this horse and cart. The lady was practicing her driving skill and her husband was along for the ride. We waved at them and they laughed and waved back. Beautiful horse, I don't think I would mind learning to drive a horse and cart.




Anyway, Sunday was Mother's Day, since mom and dad are coming on Friday, I decided to save mom's gift till she gets here. I did call her, she was at my brother's house in Sealy. I guess I could have driven over there but they will be here in 3 days and making sure the house is clean was more important. :-) I am not sure how long they are staying, but it will be long enough to build the deck that I wanted off our dining room. That's right my dad, Ken and my brother Jimmy are building me a deck and my mom and dad are paying for it. I am overwhelmed by their gift. I want to put a outdoor dining room table on it, so we can eat outside. That is what I love so much about my brother's very large covered porch, is sitting out and eating. I have to work all next week so I will only be able to get photos when I get home in the evening. It will be fun to post the day to day progress.


Hope everyone has a great week. Only 34 more days until my 7 week summer break!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment