Thursday, April 22, 2010

You See The Most Amazing Things.....

Since moving out to the country (best thing we ever did) I have seen some really cool things. The deer, the fox, the Luna moth, the mutant moth from hell and just when I thought I seen it all we see this.

These are Winter Wrens. I know that because my dad gave me a bird book. As a matter of fact my dad and I were kind of fascinated with these tiny little birds. They blend in so well with the ground that you don't notice them until the ground starts moving and you realize there are birds there. This is the 2nd time I have seen them roost like this. The first time was back in November. Ken was out of town at a dog show and I happened to notice what looked like a animal that had made itself into a ball on the ledge under the back porch. I could not tell what it was and it did not look like birds. The next morning the "animal was gone". But it wasn't an animal it was the Winter Wrens. I found out they will roost in parties consisting of the family or of many individuals gathered together for warmth. I never realized that any birds did that. The two photos I took show their heads, but that was because I had disturbed them. The Winter Wrens do not nest in Texas, they come in around September and leave around May heading back north to build their nests and raise their babies. The picture below shows two that huddled together under the front porch. The amazing thing is these birds sleep all night. When I left the house at 5am to go to work, these birds had not moved all night long. I never realized that birds did that also. I am having great fun with my bird book, you are never too old to learn.


This photo of the Winter Wren with the babies is from the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment